Sunday, April 29, 2007

This is annoying.

While I like the idea of a wired soldier, I question some of the add-ons, like text messaging. Why are we still using M-16s, and why do soldiers not have basic radios? In my mind, all they need is an earpiece, a good video-linked scope, and an HKG3 rifle with a grenade launcher. Only the commander needs maps and such. Plus, 16 pounds is a bit much. Better to use the weight to carry the heavier ammo a G3 uses. This whole exercise shows the problem with spending. Either give them the basics, or give them high-tech exosuits, don't try to half-way it. So instead of the best gun ( maybe there's one thats better than the G3, I don't know ) and radios, we try to give the troops halfway decent guns, and a computer that is crap by todays standards. Heres an Idea, lets let soldiers get the best off the shelf gear with a equipment bonus, and try to perfect the wired soldier after their basic needs are met. I hope one day we have wired combat suits that increase effectiveness, instead of loading extra weight on soldiers. Heres my basic rule, if the suit doesn't enable soldiers to carry the suits weight comfortably, its not worth it.

No comments: